Fungal nail infection is a common condition which is not serious but is difficult to treat. Traditional treatments with medications and topical treatments have limited success. Laser treatment with the Harmony Q-switched Nd-Yag and long-pulsed NdYag targets the source of the infection under the nail plate and clears the nail fungus in a few treatment sessions.
How does the treatment work?
Light form the laser is transmitted through the nail plate into the nail bed where it is absorbed by the pigmented yeast cells responsible for the infection.
The first part of the treatment heats up the area beneath the nail bed without affecting the surrounding tissue and breaks the hard-outer shell of the fungal spore.
The second part of the treatment results in heat being absorbed by the fungal spore and de-activating it.
What happens during treatment?
We clean the nail to make sure that the area is clear of nail polish, creams and powder. Then, we pass the hand-piece over the infected nail a few times. The thicker the nail, he more the number of passes. Most treatment sessions take only a few minutes.
Is the treatment painful?
There may be slight discomfort from the heat generated by the laser but it is not painful. This sensation is temporary and we can stop the procedure until you feel comfortable.
What are the side-effects?
There are no long-term side-effects. The heat generated by the laser settles very quickly.
How many treatments will I need?
Most people need 3-4 treatments at 2-3-week intervals to treat the condition.
What are the contra-indications to treatment?
This treatment is not suitable for you if the following applies to you.
- Skin cancer
- Systemic anti-fungal therapy in the past 6 months
- Nail colouring dyes that change nail pigment
- Bacterial infection that cause nail pigmentation
- Nail disorders such as psoriasis of the nail plate, atopic dermatitis
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding
What is the after care?
- Do not wear obstructive footwear for the first 48 hours after treatment.
- Apply anti-fungal cream to the affected area twice daily for 3 months.
- Use anti-fungal powder in the shoes once a week for 1 month.