Laser treatment can quickly and safely eliminate unsightly thread veins, spider veins and broken capillaries. These are completely harmless but can make people feel self-conscious, especially if they are on the face.
Laser treatment, with long pulsed NdYag, is highly effective and very popular with patients who visit our multi-award winning clinic from throughout Surrey and Hampshire.
What can we treat?
The following can safely and effectively be treated on the face and legs:
- Thread Veins (spider or broken veins)
- Spider naevi
How does the treatment work?
When the thread vein, with higher concentrations of haemoglobin, is exposed to light energy, the temperature will raise in the area. This results in damage and breakdown of the vessels which the body absorbs, making them less visible or destroying them completely.
Will I be suitable for treatment?
Most people with vascular lesions will be suitable for treatment. You will need to attend for an assessment to check if you are suitable for treatment and how many sessions you will need.
How many laser treatments will I need?
Most patients need a course of 3-6 treatments every 4-8 weeks to achieve the desired results.
What are the side-effects?
The treatment is not painful and at most you may notice slight discomfort.
Depending upon your skin type (and the lesion being treated), there is redness and swelling around the treatment area for up to 2-3 days after treatment. There may also be some blistering. After facial treatments, we recommend using Dermalux LED Light Therapy immediately after the laser treatment to reduce redness and speed up the healing time.
The treated area may also appear darker for 5-7 days after treatment but this will clear shortly afterwards.
What is the after-care?
- Immediately after treatment there will be redness and swelling of the treatment area and this feels like mild sunburn.
- Applying cool packs to the skin for the first few hours after treatment will help reduce discomfort.
- Application of Aloe Vera gel is helpful.
- Use SPF 50 and avoid sun exposure. This is essential to avoid the risk of hyperpigmentation or darker pigmentation.
- Avoid picking and scratching the treated area to reduce the risk of pigmentation.
- Avoid hot baths, exercise, and heat treatments and treat the skin gently especially for the first 24 hours after treatment.
- After your thread vein treatment, you should wear compression stockings on your legs for 2 weeks after treatment.
Can I improve my results?
Yes, you can enhance your results by using cosmeceutical skincare as well as high level, broad spectrum sun protection to reduce photo-damage.