Sunken cheeks can make you look gaunt and sick and can make many people self-conscious about their appearance. As we age, there are many changes that take place in the various layers of the face which can contribute to the appearance of sunken cheeks.
- The cheek bones become flatter, so the cheek area can look sunken.
- The deep tissues loose collagen, hence, the cheek area is less well supported, and this can also give the appearance of sunken cheeks.
- There is loss of volume in the face due to loss of fat in the face especially in the cheek area. This also means that the cheeks appear sunken.
Extreme weight loss, dieting and increased exercising can cause fat loss from the face and body. This extends to illnesses that cause weight loss such as cancer, bulimia, anorexia nervosa, and TB.
The skin also becomes thinner and loses elasticity. This is due to loss of collagen and elastin, the proteins responsible for keeping the skin plump, firm, and elastic. Hence, the skin is lax and begins to sag and contributes to the appearance of sunken cheeks.
Smoking aids this process by reducing blood flow to skin, and nicotine destroys and contributes to decreased synthesis of new collagen and elastin. The environment can also affect the supply of nutrients from blood vessels to the skin. If the skin is regularly exposed to harsh weather conditions, it will result in reduced thickness and elasticity.
You can achieve a real difference in your face without downtime and the expense of invasive surgical procedures.
Treatment options for sunken cheeks
- Ultherapy is a non-invasive non-surgical treatment uses ultrasound energy to lift and tighten the skin and deep tissues. This results in lifting of the face and cheeks without surgery.
- Dermal Fillers can help to restore lost facial volume. The face can be lifted and supported naturally by the skillful and strategic placement of facial fillers without the need for a surgical facelift. The cheeks can be lifted, voluminised and remodelled to give more definition and support where it is needed.